Saturday, June 21, 2008

Podcasting

Well, it's just another way to get media into your life... conveniently... and without having to read.

So, I checked out a few podcasts from various library sources, and I like "This Week @ Your Library," which is a podcast feed that covers current news and events at the Mississippi State University Libraries. I also discovered some feeds for podcasts of actual library programs. These both seem like things that could be useful at Sno-Isle -- podcasts that explain various library services, for example, might be kind of cool to put on the website. Users could subscribe to an RSS feed and be kept abreast of new goings-on.... or maybe just library news... like a newsletter, except in podcast form. And podcasting video or audio from library programs might be kind of neat, too. We could certainly increase our audience by making those events available outside the constraints of time and space (i.e. you don't have to come to the library at a specific time to see the speaker you want to see.) Just some thoughts...

So, anyway, I subscribed to a few personally interesting podcasts as well in my google reader -- some stuff from the center for fairness and accuracy in reporting (FAIR) and daily podcasts of "Democracy Now!" -- one of the news shows I like to catch. I'm sure they'll just pile up in my reader, but it's worth making an effort.

No comments: