Tuesday, June 10, 2008

OverDrive Digital Media

So... I did the whole download a book thing. It was, for the most part, a pleasing experience. I placed a hold on a book I've been wanting to read for a while now and received a notice that it was available for "checkout" in about a week. This was especially nice because I'm also on the holds list for the actual book on CD, and I've been waiting much longer than that already... with no light at the end of the tunnel. Yay! When I downloaded the book at work, it took about 20 minutes (kind of a long time), and now I'm going to try to burn it to a CD so I can listen to it in my car.

I also browsed the movie collection, and was not as impressed with the selection as I was with the books. For the most part, I was able to find books I wanted, but the movie selection seems to be lacking in recent, popular, or... frankly... any films I want to see at all. So. Little bit of a letdown there.

I did experience a bit of a bummer when I tried to download the book I ordered to my personal computer. While I was able to download the OverDrive Media Console without any problems, the link provided in SnoIsle's instruction for downloading the current version of Windows Media Player did not yield any downloads of the current version for Vista (my operating system.) I searched and clicked for about 15 minutes, and finally threw up my hands in frustration... then I thought, "Wait, maybe me computer is new enough that is has the most current version!" But... nope. No such luck. I tried the book download with my current version of WMP, and it didn't work. Still trying.

No comments: